Thursday, July 27, 2017

34 years

No, I am definitely not writing about my age ;)

It has been 34 years since we last saw my cousins from Germany. I have a vague recollection of 2 boys: one was my age and the other a little older. They were mysterious, spoke German so quickly and came from a far away country that we had never visited. My sister and I were the confused looking Canadians. But we were family.. we knew that.

Thanks to Facebook, we came back in contact with each other and, 34 years later, they came back to visit us. The 2 brothers, a few years after we last saw each other, ended up being three :) Plus, we have the added bonus of a lovely, brave girlfriend that came along for the trip ;) They are still kind of mysterious... and still speak German quickly ;) Despite my living in Scandinavia, I am ashamed to say that I have still not visited Germany (layovers in Frankfurt and Berlin do not count) ;)

Funny thing is, despite the time and the distance, it feels like we have known and loved them for always.... Welcome back!






Showing their Duisburg pride :)

4 comments: